1) Easy does it.
2) First things first.
3) Live and let live.
4) But for the grace of God.
5) Think think think.
6) One day at time.
7) Let go and let God.
8) K.I.S.S.—Keep It Simple Stupid.
9) Act as if.
10) This, too, shall pass.
11) Expect miracles.
12) I can’t, He can, I think I’ll let Him (Steps 1,2,3).
13) If it works, don’t fix it.
14) Keep coming back, it works if you work it.
15) Stick with the winners.
16) Keep on trudgin.’
17) Sobriety is a journey, not a destination.
18) Faith without works is dead.
19) Poor me, poor me, pour me another drink.
20) To thine own self be true.
21) I came; I came to; I came to believe (Steps 1,2,3).
22) Live in the NOW.
23) If God seems far away, who moved?
24) Turn it over.
25)A.A.= Altered Attitudes
26) Nothing is so bad, a drink won’t make it worse.
27) We are only as sick as our secrets.
28) There are no coincidences in A.A.
29) Be part of the solution, not the problem.
30) Sponsors: have one, use one, be one.
31) I can’t handle it God; you take over.
32) Keep an open mind.
33) It works it really does! (Page 88 in the Big Book)
34) Willingness is the key.
38) No pain, no gain.
39) Go for it.
40) Keep the plug in the jug.
42) Let it begin with me.
43) Just for today.
45) Pass it on.
46) Its in the book.
47) You either are or you aren’t.
49) Don’t quit before the miracle happens.
50) Some of us our sicker than others.
51) We’re all here because we’re not all there.
52) Alcoholism is an equal opportunity destroyer.
53) Practice an attitude of gratitude.
54) The road to sobriety is a simple journey for confused people with a complicated disease.
57) Have a good day, unless of course you have made other plans.
58) Decisions aren’t forever.
62) Where you go, there you are.
67) Look for the similarities rather than differences.
68) Remember your last drunk.
70) Try not to place conditions on your sobriety.
71) When all else fails, follow directions.
78) What goes around, comes around.
79) Change is a process, not an event.
80) Take the cotton out of your ears and put it in your mouth.
81) Call your sponsor before, not after, you take the first drink.
82) Sick and tired of being sick and tired.
84) To keep it, you have to give it away.
86) The price for serenity and sanity is self-sacrifice.
88) Take what you can use and leave the rest.
92) Help is only a phone call away.
93) Around S.A.A. or in S.A.A.?
94) You can’t give away what you don’t have.
95) One image is too many and a thousand not enough.
96) Half measures availed us nothing.
97) Anger is but one letter away from danger.
98) Courage to change.
99) Easy does it, but DO it.
100) Bring the body and the mind will follow.
101) Accept your admission.
106) Fear is the darkroom where negatives are developed.
107) Before engaging your mouth, put your mind in gear.
108) I want what I want when I want it.
109) There is no mental or emotional solution to a spiritual problem.
110) S.A.A. is not something you join, it’s a way of life.
111) We can be positive that our addiction is negative.
112) Spirituality is the ability to get our minds off ourselves.
113) Faith is spelled a-c-t-i-o-n.
114) Take the mess to your sponsor; take the message to the meeting.
117) The first step in overcoming mistakes is to admit them.
118) Formula for failure: try to please everyone.
119) Sorrow is looking back worry is looking around.
122) When your head begins to swell your mind stops growing.
123) A journey of a 1,000 miles begins with the first step.
124) G.O.D.=Good Orderly Direction.
126) You received without cost, now give without charge.
128) Trying to pray is praying.
129) Get it —give it—grow in it.
131) We’re responsible for the effort not the outcome.
132) This is a selfish program.
133) E.G.O.=Edging God Out.
134) Keep your sobriety first to make it last.
137) Minds are like parachutes—-they won’t work unless they’re open.
139) Addiction is the only disease that tells you you’re all right.
140) If you turn it over and don’t let go of it, you will be upside down.
143) God taught us to laugh again but God please don’t let us forget that we once cried.
144) Serenity is not freedom from the storm but peace amid the storm.
146) It isn’t the load that weighs us down——it’s the way we carry it.
147) Principles before personalities
148) When you do all the talking you only learn what you already know.
149) The 7t’s —Take Time to Think The Thing Through.
150) There are none too dumb for the S.A.A. program but many are too smart.
151) We all have another acting out left in us but we don’t know if we have another recovery in us.
152) To be forgiven we must forgive.
154) Since we only have today, the person with the most sobriety at a meeting is the one who got up earliest this morning.
155) Knowledge of the answers never made anyone slip—it was failing to practice the answers known.
160) If faith without works is dead; then willingness without action is fantasy.
162) The task ahead of us is never as great as the Power behind us.
163) Seven days without an S.A.A. meeting makes one weak.
164) You are not required to like it, you’re only required to DO it.
165) When wallowing in your self-pity, get off the cross, we need the wood.
167) The results are in God’s hands.
168) We are not human beings having spiritual experiences; we are spiritual beings having human experiences.
169) Remember nothing is going to happen today that you and God can’t handle.
171) Don’t watch the slippers, watch those who don’t slip…watch them go through difficulties and pull through.
173) It’s a shame we can’t forget our troubles the same way we forget our blessings.
174) Be careful what you pray for; you’re liable to get it.
175) The time to attend a meeting is when you least feel like going.
177) S.A.A. is the highest priced club in the world. If you have paid the dues, why not enjoy the benefits?
179) The will of God will never take you where the grace of God will not protect you.
180) Your Big Book is your sponsor too.
181) S.A.A. never opened the gates of heaven to let me in, S.A.A. did open the gates of hell to let me out.
182) The only thing we take from this world when we leave is what we gave away.
183) Time wasted in getting even can never be used in getting ahead.
184) Some S.A.A.’s are so successful that they turn out to be almost as good as they used to think they were before they came in to the program..
190) First we stayed sober because we have to…then we stay sober because we are willing to…then we stay sober because we want to.
191) Slogans are wisdom written in shorthand.
192) Active addicts don’t have relationships; they take hostages.
193) Everyday is a gift that’s why we call it the present.
194) If you find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn’t lead anywhere.
195) Every recovery from addiction began with one sober hour.
200) RULE 62: don’t take yourself seriously.
201) S.A.A. has a wrench to fit every nut that walks through the door.
203) How does one become an old-timer? Don’t act out and don’t die.
204) S.A.A. spoils your acting out.
205) Faith is our greatest gift; its sharing with others our greatest responsibility.
206) If you want to act out, that is your business…if you want to quit and can’t, that is S.A.A.’s business.
209) The elevator is broken——-use the Steps.
211) When all else fails, the directions are in the Big Book.
213) Anonymity is so important it’s half of our name.
214) If we don’t grow, we gotta go.
216) Religion is for those who fear Hell, spirituality is for those who have been there.
217) Intolerance= Contempt, prior to investigation.
220) The S.A.A. way of life is meant to be bread for daily use, not cake for special occasions.
221) The smartest thing an S.A.A. member can say is, help.
222) You are exactly where you are supposed to be.
223) God will never give you more than you can handle.
225) A coincidence is a miracle in which God chooses to remain anonymous.
226) There is no such thing, as a bad meeting.
227) Give time time.
229) The lesson I must learn is simply that my control is limited to my own behavior, my own attitudes.
230) S.A.A. works for people who believe in God. S.A.A. works for people who don’t believe in God. S.A.A. never works for people who believe they are God.
231) Just for today I will try to live through this day only, and not tackle my whole life problems at once.
232) There are two days in every week which we have no control over—-yesterday and tomorrow. Today is the only day we can change.
233) It is not the experience of today that drives people mad, it is remorse of yesterday and the dread of tomorrow.
235) Pain is the touchstone of spiritual growth.
237) There is a God and I’m not it.
238) The road to resentment is paved with expectation.
240) Denial is not a river in Egypt, but you can drown in it.
241) Guilt is the gift that keeps on giving.
242) The flip side to forgiveness is resentments.
243) There is no magic in recovery only miracles.
244) Fear is the absences of faith.
245) Courage is faith that has said its prayers.
*250) There are S.A.A. members who make things happen, there are S. A.A. members who watch things happen there are S.A.A. members who don’t know anything happened
255) We’ll love you, until you learn to love yourself.
259) You can always tell an addict, but you can’t tell him much.
266) Live life on life’s terms.
268) When we couldn’t dominate, control, or manipulate, we would ask for terms and conditions.
276) I didn’t get into trouble every time I acted out, but every time I got in trouble I was acting out.
277) Insanity is defined as doing the same thing over, and over again, expecting different results.
279) Success means getting your BUT out of the way.
280) Newcomer is someone with less than five years sobriety.
282) Don’t work my program, or your program, work THE program.
284) Ask us how we did it, then do what we did.
285) Requirements for me to help you, 1) you have to need it, 2) you have to want it, 3) you have to ask for it, 4) you have to ask me.
287) Faith without works is dead.
289) The definition of an addict; an egomaniac with an inferiority complex.
291) When the pain of staying sober becomes less than the pain of acting out, you’ll stay sober.
292) None of us came here on a winning streak.
294) This, too, shall pass.
301) Short version of the Serenity Prayer: Lighten up.
302) You don’t have to wait to hit bottom to get off the down elevator.
304) F.E.A.R.= False Evidence Appearing Real.
305) F.E.A.R.=False Expectations Appearing Real.
306) F.E.A.R=Face Everything and Recover.
311) N.U.T.S.=Not Using the Steps
313) When you sober up a horse thief, all you have is a sober horse thief.
314) First things first
315) If you can’t remember your last acting out episode, maybe you haven’t had it.
316) If you want to stay sober, make the coffee.
317) If you fly with crows, you get shot at.
318) Analysis is paralysis.
319) S.A.A. isn’t a religion, we can’t open the gates of Heaven and let you in, but we can open the gates of Hell and let you out.
321) It’s easy to talk the talk, but you have to walk the walk.
322) Life starts when you stop.
323) You have to give it away in order to keep it.
324) Fake it till you make it.
325) It’s a selfish program.
327) Fear alone won’t keep me sober, but for a newcomer, it’s not a bad place to start.
336) The doors swing both ways.
337) You have to put in the time.
338) Try it for 90 days, and if you don’t like it, we’ll gladly refund your misery.
346) We have a disease that tells us we don’t have a disease.
347) We have a living problem, not a drinking problem.
348) We have a thinking problem, not a drinking problem.
349) If you don’t want to slip, stay away from slippery places.
352) My daily sobriety is contingent on my spiritual condition.
353) Yesterday is a cancelled check, tomorrow is a promissory note, only today is cash in the bank.
354) F.A.I.T.H.: Fantastic Adventure in Trusting Him.
355) Sorrow shared is halved; joy shared is doubled.
356) There is pain in recovery. Misery is optional.
357) Lead us not into temptation. I can find it myself.
*358) A treatment center is where you go and pay $15,000 to find out that S.A.A. meetings are free.
359) Ask an addict what time it is and he’ll tell you how to build a clock.
360) Please be patient—God isn’t finished with me yet.
364) When my insides match my outside, I’m practicing a good program.
366) When I acted out, I was committing suicide on the installment plan.
367) My Higher Power was: To Whom It May Concern.
368) My first Higher Power was Howard, as in Our Father, who art in Heaven, Howard be thy name.
*372) I don’t always know what God’s will is for me, but I always know what it’s not.
374) I didn’t experiment with alcohol and drugs. I was in advanced research and development.
383) Listen like only the dying can.
384) If your ass falls off, put it in a paper bag and take it to a meeting.
*385) There’s safety in numbers. One through twelve.
386) An ounce of prevention is worth a gallon of relapse.
388) S.A.A. is a simple program for complicated people.
389) My best thinking got me here.
390) I am a walking miracle.
391) Don’t romance the images.
392) When I start wondering if everything’s okay, it’s probably not.
*393) If hanging around S.A.A. doesn’t work, try hanging out inside S.A.A.
394) Before I got into S.A.A., I was dying for an orgasm.
395) God grant me patience. Right now.
*396) My sponsor says I’m trying. Very trying.
*397) 20/20: Come 20 minutes before the meeting, stay 20 minutes after.
398) Don’t try to clear away the wreckage of the future.
399) When the student is ready, the teacher appears.
400) You can’t speed up your recovery, but you sure can slow it down.
403) Stand by the coffee pots. It’s a good way to meet people.
404) People who think they know it all are very irritating to those of us who do.